Sunday 8 March 2009

Reflections on FT weekend 1 (part 3)

I’m proud to be part of this wonderful team having met up with so many people from different states whom are now my close friends. These are the circle of friends who share the common Lasallian vision and mission as me to make our community a better place.

Like Jason Tan, I’m really glad to be back for the recent Formation Team Weekend. I met up with so many old faces and new ones too.
The theme highlighted was about human rights. Meeting up with Jerald Joseph was indeed a great experience. We sang the song ‘Walk the Talk’ during our first session and he asked us whether we knew what we were singing. That’s where the fun began.

Many of us had so much fun singing the song that we forgot what the song really meant. That was where Jerald came in. He asked us whether we were REALLY walking the talk or just talking and not ‘walking’. Leaders are people who walk the talk. Jerald is a role model to many of us. Being a Lasallian and prominent human rights activist, he helped us to understand our basic rights as a human being and why they are being violated till today.

Learning and refreshing my memory on the basic rights were good because it helped me to understand and made me even more determined to exercise my rights. We had many discussions on a number of issues that revolve around us especially the recent Perak crisis, the abolishment of ISA and the beautiful and ugly side of our country incorporating the human rights theme. The response from the crowd was great and Jerald himself was impressed. Good job Lasallians!

Jerald later became our moderator for our group (we don’t have a specific group as we are waiting for our SPM and STPM results) to help us walk the talk by getting us involved in service learning. My group, consisting most from the 17th convention, did show the interest.

On the whole, I enjoyed the weekend and saying goodbye was the most difficult as two days wasn’t enough. Throughout the weekend, I learned to exercise my rights and make sure that I walk the talk like Lasallians ought to. I realize that simple actions do make a difference.

Are you ready to write your story and shape lives by walking the talk, Lasallians?


Aaron Oo

St Michael’s Institution, Ipoh

No comments: