Wednesday 31 March 2010

So what was FT Weekend about? - The Sequel

The previous post was shared by someone new to the FT. Now, here are some thoughts shared by William, an experienced FT member, on what happened during the Weekend. If you're looking for a comprehensive recount of the FT Weekend, look no more. Here it is!


With the theme of ‘Racism’, FT Weekend 1 was definitely fulfilling. Thanks a lot to Michael Voon for his sessions with us. His sharings left us with many questions to ponder upon and of course, some new insights - how we perceived what is happening around us, the environment and people, and also how can we change this.

The first activity ‘Hi, La Salle’ was full of fun and laughter, and it encouraged self-awareness of whether we’re visual, audio or kinetics learners. The activity ended with segregation into groups based on dots (any mistake in the game earned us one dot…kudos to Tsu Chong and Kartig for having 5 and Yages for having 7…haha).

We then shared about how minorities and majorities felt throughout the process. We also watched the movie ‘Gadoh’. A true movie that reflects reality - I have nothing but praise for it. It is a good medium to spread the message of anti-racism and personally I felt that it raised more than just the question of race.

For me, the highlight was ‘flocking’, a perfect way to end the sessions. A simple activity of moving in small groups, yet it sends a strong message on how one’s action can affect the community, how one community can affect another community, and how these communities can co-exist.

Thank you, Mike.

At night, we had an interesting discussion on racism. We discussed when we experienced racism, why is there racism and what can we do as Lasallians. I always felt that there is something special about the team, the Formation Team; we are so diverse yet most of us share the ‘same frequency’, which makes it easy and interesting for us to discuss issues.

Many meaningful thoughts were shared between the school, university and working groups. One question occurred to me - what is right about the youth today? To me, most of us are on the right path because we know what is right and what changes are needed to correct the wrong. The challenge for us now is to act and be the change we want to see.

The visit of Brother Alvaro Rodriguez, the Superior General of La Salle Brothers, together with Brother David, Brother Thomas and Brother Anthony made our FT weekend more memorable. The humility of the Brothers made this big family seem close and warm.

The whole weekend, as well as the sharings during the dialogue with the Brothers, reaffirmed my reasons for coming back. I always felt ‘re-charged’ after each trip to La Salle Centre. Besides meeting up with friends, there are always people in the team who are sources of inspiration for me.

From my first step of staying for 3 weeks in Kg. Chang (an indigenous village in Bidor) until today, La Salle Centre always gave me the courage to be different and to move towards the change that I want to see.

Thanks to La Salle Centre, Brothers and the Team.


2 comments:

Ryan Lee said...

I am fully charged despite not participating the event for 2 days. I went back at night on the first day.
I asked myself.
Does racism exist during the meeting?
Does there any difference between in La Sallian family?
Would anyone ask u whether u are Indian, Malay or Chinese?
Surprisingly, the answer for 3 of the questions above is NO!!

Honestly, if 'One Malaysia' can achieve 20 or even 30% of La Sallian spirit, it would be considered a very very good example.
If u ask me, proudly I would say, I am proud to be a La Sallian. On the other hands, I am just Malaysian.
I suggest the La Sallian movement should be an example for One Malaysia..

WPY said...

Thanks to William, at least you know what you missed out on on Sat night.

There's racism la. That Varun always only hang out with that Vincent...both are Indians. ;)