Friday 2 April 2010

So what was FT Weekend about? - The Threequel


Let us all pray for Br Vincent's speedy recovery in our own ways.



On a brighter note, (More Than) Earth Hour will be happening this weekend in Ipoh, Petaling Jaya, Seremban, Malacca and Tambunan.


On a reflective note, here is the last sharing on our FT Weekend 1. We were pleasantly surprised by a visit from two FT members whom we haven't met in a while - Fabian and Shaun. Here is what Shaun thought of the weekend.

I am still in denial over the fact that it has been almost 10 years since the year of my convention. I still remember those jovial and insightful days as if it was yesterday. And the last FT weekend certainly did not disappoint either.


It was great fun dotting, flocking, watching, befriending, mafia-ing, discussing and greeting. However, personally, the weekend was all about reaffirmations, reaffirmations of my beliefs.


Carnegie


Firstly, I have been particularly inspired by the Carnegie spirit of late. For those of you who have not heard of Andrew Carnegie and his essay entitled Wealth, the Carnegie spirit basically believes that ‘the man who dies thus rich dies disgraced’ and urges donors to provide ‘the ladders upon which the aspiring can rise’ and to help others ‘become self-sufficient though training and education’.


I have always been aware of La Salle’s legacy in education. But until I heard the Lasallian song last weekend, I completely forgot about him giving up his privileged background to dedicate his life to his cause. Hence, the significant similarities between the Carnegie and the Lasallian spirit.


For me, it was very reaffirming and reassuring that I was able to integrate my current belief (almost seamlessly) with one which has been instilled in me since I was seven.


Racism


Unfortunately it is real, institutionalised and very much alive in this country. After watching Gadoh and hearing what’s happening in Malaysian universities, it left me angry and frustrated.


However, this has only further reaffirmed my desire to stand up and to speak out against unfair discrimination.


Mafia


And finally, I learnt that you are never too old to play Mafia. Now that’s reaffirming!

For all the above, I thank you La Salle Centre Ipoh, FT organisers, participants and St Michaels. I am most grateful.


Shaun





No comments: